History of Mitsubishi Motors
This section presents the history of Mitsubishi Motors from its beginning with the founding of Mitsubishi in 1870 to spinning off from the automotive division of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in 1970, and developments right up to the present day.
1940-1959Look at the 1960s
|1943||Mizushima Aircraft Manufacturing (later becomes Mizushima Plant) and Kawasaki kiki Manufacturing (Kawasaki plant) are established.|
|1944||Kyoto kiki Manufacturing is established in Uzumasa, which later becomes Kyoto Plant.|
|1946||Development of a small three-wheel cargo carrier, the "Mizushima" (XTM1) is completed. Fuso bus production is restarted.
A scooter, the "Silver Pigeon" (C-10) is launched.
|1948||Production of the industrial "Katsura" engine startes at Kyoto-kiki Manufacturing.|
|1950||Mitsubishi Heavy-Industries is split into East Japan Heavy-Industries (later became Mitsubishi Nihon Heavy-Industries), Central Japan Heavy-Industries (later became Shin Mitsubishi Heavy-Industries) and West Japan Heavy-Industries (later became Mitsubishi Shipbuilding & Engineering). Fuso Motor Sales is established.|
|1951||Assembly and sales of the Henry J passenger car (by East Japan Heavy-Industries until 1954).
Central Japan Heavy-Industries concludes a contract with Willis for knockdown assembly of the Jeep.
|1953||Shin Mitsubishi Heavy-Industries starts knockdown assembly of the Jeep.
Shin Mitsubishi Heavy-Industries sets up the automobile department at its headquarters again.
|1954||Kyoto Plant the first unit of domestic-made four-cylinder gasoline engine JH4 for the Jeep.
Mitsubishi Nippon Heavy-Industries established the automobile department at its headquarters.
|1955||The "Mizushima" small three-wheel cargo carrier is renamed "Mitsubishi-Go".|