Mitsubishi Motors Lineup at Auto Shanghai 2017
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) will be exhibiting a number of models at the 17th Shanghai International Automobile Industry Exhibition*1 to be held from April 19 through April 28. Main exhibits will be the MITSUBISHI GT-PHEV Concept*2 and the MITSUBISHI eX Concept*3, two concept models shown for the first time in China which showcase the company’s next-generation electric-powered vehicle and all-wheel control technologies indicating the direction of Mitsubishi Motors vehicle development.
Also on display will be the show model of Outlander PHEV which is applicable for the New Energy Vehicle being promoted by the Chinese government, and the Outlander which has been well received since its production launch in China.
- *1･･･April 19 and 20 will be Press Days; from April 21 to 28 the show will be open to the general public. The show is being held at the National Exhibition and Convention Center (Shanghai).
- *2･･･Named from the Ground Tourer concept - ability for cruising across a vast land.
- *3･･･electric X (crossover).
1. MITSUBISHI GT-PHEV Concept: Overview
The MITSUBISHI GT-PHEV Concept is a next-generation high-end crossover SUV powered by the MMC’s own advanced plug-in hybrid EV (PHEV) system with three motors that incorporates all-wheel control technology.
- ・The front visage with its forceful presence employs MMC’s DYNAMIC SHIELD front design concept that portrays an image of the front end’s function of protecting both people and the car. From the side, the MITSUBISHI GT-PHEV Concept uses horizontal lines to convey its high-end crossover SUV styling and driving stability. With a muscularity and intensity that gives the impression it has been carved from a single ingot of steel, the body is clothed in refined styling that flourishes sculpted dynamism highlighted with precise detailing.
- ・Inside, the MITSUBISHI GT-PHEV Concept uses a horizontal dashboard design that creates a spacious ambiance and makes it easier for the driver to sense changes in vehicle attitude.
- ・The PHEV system comprises a next-generation, high-capacity drive battery package, three high-output and high-efficiency motors and an engine specially designed for the PHEV system and featuring improved electricity generation performance and motive performance. This combination delivers the punchy performance sought in a “ground tourer” and makes for relaxed motoring on longer trips with an electric-only range of 120 km and a combined hybrid cruising range of over 1,200 km.
- ・The full-time 4WD powertrain, with one motor at the front and two at the rear, and MMC’s own Super All-wheel Control (S-AWC) integrated vehicle dynamics control system, raises the bar in terms of handling performance and directional stability.
- ・The MITSUBISHI GT-PHEV Concept also adopts the latest in connected car technology in extracting its performance and functionality to the full. The technology feeds to the car route information as well as data on weather and road surface conditions acquired from information networks and from on-board sensors and cameras in order to closely manage energy consumption such as electricity consumption and fuel economy as well as to provide all-wheel control best-suited to many motoring situations.
2. MITSUBISHI eX Concept: Overview
The MITSUBISHI eX Concept is a compact SUV concept car powered by a next-generation Twin Motor EV system mated with MMC’s all-wheel control technology.
- ・The exterior fuses coupe styling with shooting brake*4 elegance and uses MMC’s DYNAMIC SHIELD front design concept. The form presents an intensity that gives the impression it has been carved from a single ingot of steel in an active and vibrant design.
- ・Inside, different coloring is used for the driver and front passenger sides of the cockpit to create a unique ambiance in an elegant, bright and roomy interior space that is sporty overall.
- ・The EV system comprises a next-generation, high-capacity drive battery package with compact, high-output, high-efficiency motors and gives a cruising range of 400 km. The underfloor drive battery package lowers the center of gravity and with the Twin Motor 4WD system (one at the front and one at the rear) and the S-AWC integrated vehicle dynamics control system, the MITSUBISHI eX Concept delivers point-and-go handling and outstanding directional stability.
- ・The MITSUBISHI eX Concept also showcases connected car technology that utilizes next-generation information systems, as well as autonomous driving technology built around the latest in active safety systems.
- *4：shooting brake･･･A term for a coupé with flowing styling fused with a hatchback car, the term originates from British hunting-use horse carriages.