Jeep J-58

1975

Jeep J-58

As reconstruction efforts following the end of WWII gathered pace in Japan the Jeep became a desirable vehicle for its utility and versatility. However, the government policy for protection of domestic industry in Japan restricted number of built-up vehicles imported into the country.
In 1952 Shin Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Co. Ltd., which was already producing three-wheel small trucks and scooters, obtained a license from Willys Overland of the United States and started knock-down production of the Jeep in Japan. In 1953, the first Mitsubishi Jeep assembled from knock-down kits, the J1, was completed and the company delivered 54 units to the Forestry Agency. The next year, in July 1954, the company signed technical assistance and marketing agreements with Willys as it moved toward domestic production in Japan. Subsequently, the Mitsubishi Jeep came to be offered in a wide variety of body types, including canvas or metal top, delivery wagon and with either gasoline or diesel engines. Approximately 200,000 units of the Mitsubishi Jeep were sold in 45 years, from the first model in 1953 until the final memorial version went on sale as limited edition in June 1998. The Mitsubishi Jeep J-58, launched in 1975, took the canvas top and door body style that was growing in popularity as a recreational vehicle and became the series' first gasoline engine model to be classified with a 4-figure number plate, denoting a light commercial vehicle. It was characterized by sportier and more elegant exterior styling and with a fashionable looking soft top. Power was supplied by a 2.0 L gasoline engine that produced 100PS. Other features included a roll bar for greater safety and ELR seatbelts with tension reducers that stopped the belts from binding too tightly when driving over poor surfaces.

Overall length 3390mm
Overall width 1665mm
Overall height 1905mm
Engine 2.0L