Colt 1500

1965

Colt 1500

The 1st Japanese Grand Prix had been held at the Suzuka circuit in 1963, attracting the attention of the Japanese nation to motorsport. This was quickly followed by the dawning of "the highway age" when the Meishin Highway opened in July 1965 and saw demand for high output cars start to grow. As Japan embarked on becoming a motorized nation, the first Colt 600 of 1962 was succeeded by the 1000 in 1963.
The Colt 1500 launched in October 1965 was designed to strengthen the Colt series and meet the needs of this fledgling market. It retained Colt 1000's styling but featured a longer wheelbase and overall length. Previous Colt models had been fitted with two headlamps but Colt 1500 had four. It was also more powerful with its 1.5L 4-cylinder OHV engine producing 70 PS and taking it up to a maximum speed of 140 km/h.

Overall length 3975mm
Overall width 1490mm
Overall height 1425mm
Engine 1.5L