20 December 1999, Tokyo: Mitsubishi Motors Corporation announces that it will
launch the PROUDIA*1, a brand new luxury sedan for personal
use, and the DIGNITY*2, the only full-feature limousine made
in Japan, on 1 February 2000 at Galant dealerships throughout Japan.
The development brief for the PROUDIA was to create, "Japan's premier
luxury 4-door sedan offering peerless levels of comfort and relaxation
for all occupants." Principal features distinguishing the new sedan
include: (1) A body of imposing stature that melds grandeur and elegance;
(2) Interior space and comfort that provide exceptional levels of relaxation
to all occupants; (3) Mitsubishi's 3.5-liter V6 and brand-new 4.5-liter
V8 GDI eco-engines that return front-running economy while minimizing
loads on the environment; (4) Outstanding levels of safety, including
Mitsubishi's RISE advanced crash-performance body construction, and
the Driver Support System cutting-edge active safety technology.
The limousine version, DIGNITY, meanwhile, features an extended rear
compartment and has been developed to provide rear seat passengers the
ultimate in comfort and entertainment appointments. Features include,
(1) The most spacious and comfortable rear compartment of all cars made
in Japan; (2) A comprehensive comfort specification that includes the
Super Executive Seat System and other luxury appointments that exploit
model's roominess to the full; (3) A brand new 4.5-liter V8 GDI eco-engine
that delivers effortless performance and comfort. These and other features
in the second-to-none specification make DIGNITY Japan's only full feature
limousine for the captains of industry and other notables.
*1; Coined from the English "proud" and the Mitsubishi
"diamond" logo as a fitting epithet for Mitsubishi Motors ultimate
*2; Taken from the English to describe the peerless grandeur and majestic
stateliness of the model
I. Principal product features
1. PROUDIA: luxury sedan for personal use
- Measuring in at an imposing 5050mm long by 1870mm wide and 1475mm
high, the body melds grandeur with elegance in lines that give unmistakable
expression to the model's "luxury" and "majestic" qualities.
- In the styling department, the substantive grille imparts an assertive
strength in the front view; a squat and focussed stance with powerfully
flowing belt line and gently flaring front fenders characterize the
side view; and the distinctive rear combination lamp units accentuate
the stately hind quarters to grace the rear view with a formal appearance.
- Maneuverability also figures strongly in the design equation, which
uses an engine compartment with minimized dimensions and truncated
- The interior is distinguished by cavernous occupant space that allows
passengers to relax in roomy comfort, supported by the most comprehensive
appointments specification to be found on any model made in Japan.
- The ample head and shoulder room is complemented in the rear compartment
by truly relaxing leg room and foot space thanks to the unobtrusive
center tunnel that stems from the PROUDIA's front-wheel drive layout.
- The fully appointed interior uses Jacquard moquette for seat upholstery
and trim with wood-grain paneling throughout to generate an ambience
of sumptuous luxury.
- Two interior color schemes are offered: A beige two-tone that brings
light and elegance; and a gray two-tone that lends a more formal and
tranquil air to the interior.
(3) On the road
- The top trim level PROUDIA C is powered by a 4.5-liter V8 unit,
the latest and largest in the GDI family of eco-engines. This power
unit generates maxima of 206-kW (280-PS) / 5000 rpm, and 412-Nm (42.0
k-gm) / 4000-rpm, and returns mileage of 8.2 km/liter in the Japanese
10 -15 urban cycle. The aluminum cylinder block ( a first for a Mitsubishi
engine ) realizes a significant reduction in weight, while the compact
overall body length resulting from the horizontally mounted engine
and front-wheel drive layout contribute further to the GDI engine's
inherently superior fuel efficiency. This engine conforms with the
Japanese 2000 Emissions Regulations and also meets the J-TLEV*3
targets in the Low Emission Vehicle Emission Gas technical guidelines
issued by the Japan Environment Agency.
- Trim levels A and B are powered by the Mitsubishi's proven 3.5-liter
V6 GDI eco-engine that generates maxima of 177-kW (240-PS) / 5500
rpm, and 343-Nm (35.0 k-gm) / 2500-rpm, and returns mileage of 9.0
km/liter in the Japanese 10 -15 urban cycle. This GDI engine realizes
frugally low consumption for the 3.5-liter size category, and also
generates gutsy low-end torque to deliver relaxed, easy-to-drive dynamic
performance at the most common operating speeds. In addition to the
Japanese 2000 Emissions and the J-TLEV conformity achieved by the
4.5-liter V8 unit, the 3.5-liter V6 also meets the New 2010 Fuel Economy
Standards for Japan.
- In all models engines are mated with Mitsubishi's INVECS-II*4
with Sport Mode 5-speed automatic transmission. This "smart" transmission
incorporates Optimal Shift Control, which optimizes shift scheduling
for uphill or downhill gradients, winding roads and other road conditions
and situations, and Adaptive Shift Control, which tailors shift timing
to the driving patterns of individual drivers. It also incorporates
the Sport Mode clutch-less manual override that enables the enthusiast
driver to use it like a manual shift.
- PROUDIA has independent suspension all-round, with the wheels supported
by MacPherson struts at the front and by a multi-link arrangement
at the rear, to realize the highest levels of handling stability and
- Available on C models is Mitsubishi's Electronically Controlled
Suspension that instantly regulates shock absorber damping rate and
air spring characteristics to match changes in road surface and other
Wheels and tires
- All models have 16-inch alloy road wheels fitted with 225 / 60R16
*3; Japan Transitional Low Emission Vehicle
*4; Intelligent & Innovative Vehicle Electronic Control System
(4) Safety features
(5) Comfort and convenience
Entry and exit
- Getting into and out of the new PROUDIA is a breeze. The top of
the door opening is higher, the side sill lower, and the step between
side sill and floor has been minimized.
- Standard on all models is Mitsubishi's Easy Access feature that
automatically slides the rear seats back when the door is opened for
- Electronic control of the engine rear mountings detects whether
the vehicle is moving or idling and automatically varies the damping
characteristics of the mountings accordingly to reduce engine vibration
and noise levels.
- In addition to more extensive spot welding, PROUDIA's "Quiet Body"
construction extensively employs vibration control and sound proofing
and absorbing materials throughout the body for a quieter ride and
enhanced occupant comfort.
- Detail improvements have realized significant reductions in wind,
tire and other external noise.
- All seats are power operated, enabling each occupant to adjust his
own seat for optimum comfort at the touch of a switch. The power-operated
split rear seats can be individually reclined by operating a switch
in the center armrest.
- For increased convenience, the rear doors employ an Active Power
Lock system that automatically completes the closing process after
the doors have been pulled to. The trunk lid also uses this system.
(Standard on PROUDIA C, available on A and B)
- The standard automatic climate control system regulates temperatures
independently for left and right interior zones. Also available is
Dual Climate Control that provides independent temperature regulation
for four zones, front and rear, left and right.
- The trunk easily holds four sets of golf clubs and Boston bags.
- Other convenience and comfort appointments include the Mitsubishi
Multi-Communications System (MMCS) that provides a visual display
of navigation, environment, trip and other information on a 7-inch
landscape monitor, and a luxury-level in-car entertainment system
exclusive to PROUDIA. (Standard on PROUDIA B and C trim levels).
2. DIGNITY limousine model
- DIGNITY boasts dimensions befitting a luxury limousine model, measuring
285 mm longer than the 4-door PROUDIA at 5335 mm, the same width at
1870 mm, and 10 mm taller at 1485 mm.
- Wider than that used on PROUDIA, the front grille gives dignified
expression to DIGNITY's majestic grandeur. The more substantial B-pillar
gives DIGNITY a more stable appearance and accentuates the roominess
of the cabin in the side view.
- The extended length is nearly all devoted to the rear compartment,
providing passengers with an extra 250 mm of legroom and creating
the roomiest living space in the class.
(3) On the road
- DIGNITY is powered by Mitsubishi's new 4.5-liter V8 GDI engine.
This engine conforms with the Japanese 2000 Emissions Regulations,
meets the J-TLEV targets in the Low Emission Vehicle Emission Gas
technical guidelines issued by the Environment Agency and also meets
the New 2010 Fuel Economy Standards for Japan.
(4) Comfort and convenience
- Mitsubishi's Super Executive Seat System not only offers supreme
levels of comfort but also actively soothes away fatigue. The power-operated
front passenger backrest folds forward and, together with the power-operated
reclining rear seat with leg support, gives the nearside rear passenger
roomy comfort on a par with a first class airline seat. The rear seats
are also equipped with a body massage vibrator, heating and Easy Access
- Other comfort and convenience appointments for rear passengers include
a massive and luxurious central armrest, fold-away wooden table, decorative
lighting, magazine rack, and tower-type floor console.
- The standard Dual Climate Control system with overhead vents provides
independent temperature regulation for four interior zones, assuring
maximum comfort for all occupants.
II. Sales information
||Monthly sales target:
||300 units (PROUDIA and DIGNITY combined total)
||Galant dealerships throughout Japan
III. Manufacturer's recommended prices
3.5-liter V6 GDI
3.5-liter V6 GDI
4.5-liter V8 GDI
4.5-liter V8 GDI
Because they meet the New 2010 Fuel Economy Standards,
PROUDIA A and B trim levels and the DIGNITY qualify for a 15,000
reduction in vehicle acquisition tax
All models qualify for the 1% reduction in acquisition
tax introduced in April 1999 for low emission vehicles.
The customer may choose in cases where both tax
PROUDIA & DIGNITY specifications